About the job
Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 115,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
Abbott is a global healthcare leader, creating breakthrough science to improve people’s health. We’re always looking towards the future, anticipating changes in medical science and technology.
Working at Abbott
At Abbott, You Can Do Work That Matters, Grow, And Learn, Care For Yourself And Family, Be Your True Self And Live a Full Life. You’ll Also Have Access To
- Career development with an international company where you can grow the career you dream of.
- Free medical coverage for employees* via the Health Investment Plan (HIP) PPO
- An excellent retirement savings plan with high employer contribution
- Tuition reimbursement, the Freedom 2 Save student debt program and FreeU education benefit - an affordable and convenient path to getting a bachelor’s degree.
- A company recognized as a great place to work in dozens of countries around the world and named one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
- A company that is recognized as one of the best big companies to work for as well as a best place to work for diversity, working mothers, female executives, and scientists.
This position works out of our Lake Forest, IL location in the Core Lab Division. Our diagnostic solutions are used in hospitals, laboratories, and clinics around the globe. The crucial information derived from our tests, instruments and informatics systems are often the first step in patient care decision making for hundreds of health conditions from heart attacks to blood disorders to infectious diseases and cancers.
The Senior Molding Engineer is responsible for the molding activities to attain strategic engineering objectives for the Core Diagnostics Division. Ensures compliance with safety regulations, policies, and procedures. Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system. Serves as both a technical expert as well as a project engineer within the Molding and Packaging Engineering group. Works regularly with R&D, operations, supply chain, quality, and suppliers. Performs capacity analysis for molds, injection molding machines and makes recommendations for future investment. Managing measurement system analysis, design control and executing equipment selection, process development, validation, FMEA and Design of Experiments (DOEs). Must have proven ability to participate in team atmosphere, exhibit and create a sense of urgency and maintain effective working relationships with peers, customers, and vendors.
What You’ll Work On
- Full understanding and development of the relationship between molding key process input variables (KPIVs) and key process output variables (KPOVs) for plastic components throughout the value stream
- Specify all molding cell equipment from mold, molding machines, EoAT, machine side automation, etc.
- Act as the project engineer for injection mold design reviews and development
- Drive Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) at equipment manufacturers for acceptance per ADD equipment URS and mold build standards
- Write specifications, design verification/validation protocols and report.
- Read, challenge, develop and maintain a working knowledge of Quality Procedures and Work Instructions
- Requirements gathering, process design and development, tooling/automation design, procurement, and qualification - Concurrent management of multiple projects.
- Development of cost estimates for capital and expense.
- Create and maintain project schedules, oversee cross-functional team activities to achieve program objectives - Transfer of molds to new suppliers, startup of new suppliers.
- Regularly interact with molding suppliers to meet quality and cost objectives.
- Provide technical process support to other engineers within the group and mentor and develop junior associates
- Lead new mold testing and sampling, DOEs, material sampling, engineering changes, etc.
- Understanding of material Science of plastics (resin chemistry).
- Bachelor’s degree, or closely related discipline is desired, or equivalent technical experience and demonstrated competence; additional post-graduate education may contribute towards the desired years of experience.
- Typically requires 5+ years of significant engineering and / or operational experience to develop the competence to meet the skills and responsibilities of the position
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or master’s degree in an Engineering or technical discipline such as Plastics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or industrial Engineering. Engineers trained in one branch of the Engineering field may work in related branches of engineering provided demonstrated transferable skills.
- 2-4 years in the plastic injection and blow molding industry, preferably in the medical device industry.
- Minimum of 6 years of technical relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of mold design fundamentals, molding process development, plastic resin behavior and required tooling/equipment.
- Knowledge of FDA QSR's and ISO requirements preferred.
- Strong technical experience in mechanical engineering with excellent written and verbal communication skills is essential.
- Solid understanding of processes and materials used in the development and manufacturing of medical devices.
- Working in a development environment with an emphasis on new medical device development
- Writing product requirements and design specifications
- Support equipment/facility/process commissioning and validation desired
- Design for manufacture of low cost, high volume disposable products.
- Participants who complete a short wellness assessment qualify for FREE coverage in our HIP PPO medical plan. Free coverage applies in the next calendar year.
Learn more about our health and wellness benefits, which provide the security to help you and your family live full lives: www.abbottbenefits.com
Follow your career aspirations to Abbott for diverse opportunities with a company that can help you build your future and live your best life. Abbott is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to employee diversity.
Connect with us at www.abbott.com, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Abbott and on Twitter @AbbottNews and @AbbottGlobal.
The base pay for this position is $80,700.00 – $161,300.00. In specific locations, the pay range may vary from the range posted.